This dish is one of my family’s favorite dinner item, Italian meatballs in red sauce, served with mashed potatoes. Yup, that’s right. I said mashed potatoes.
Before my family and I went gluten free, pasta was a staple in our pantry and often served a couple times a month at the dinner table.
A great tip I learned from my mom was that it is very easy to mix meat and vegetables in with the red sauce. From zucchini and bell peppers to spinach and mushrooms, there are many vegetables to choose from that taste great. I also learned that by adding ground beef, ground turkey or meatballs, you take care of your protein.
When I took a closer look I saw that it was freshly ground, prepared in house Italian sausage.
For my recipe, I purchased 2 lbs to make sure I had enough to feed my family and enough to pack for Nathan’s lunch the next day. Nathan is my other half :). I used russet potatoes to serve them mashed with the meatballs on top.
I also chopped up a couple of bell peppers and onions to add to my meatballs to add flavor and vegetables. An after thought I had while putting this post together was, I’m curious to know how the flavor would change if I add spinach. If you try this recipe with spinach I’d love to hear your feedback.
For the red sauce I use my favorite flavors from the supermarket, making sure it’s gluten free.
Italian Sausage Meatballs
Serving Size: 28 – 1 1/2” meatballs
2 lbs Italian Sausage, uncooked
3 ea Eggs
⅓ c Red, Yellow, Orange and Green Peppers, chopped
½ c Sweet Onion, chopped
1 ea Jar of your favorite red/pasta sauce
- Combine sausage and eggs, making sure eggs are fully incorporated.
- Add onions and peppers, mix well so that the meatballs are all the same.
- Form meatballs and place in a microwave safe container. I used the Piazza Ice Cream scoop for mine, to make 1 1/2” meatballs.
- Cook meatballs in microwave for 5-7 minutes. This will release any extras from the meatballs to make your final dish look and taste fantastic.
- Meanwhile, heat your sauce in a medium size pot.
- Once meatballs are partially cooked from the microwave, carefully transfer them into the sauce.
- Cover and simmer for 15 min, until meatballs are firm and thoroughly cooked.
- Remove meatballs from heat, arrange on a platter and garnish with chopped basil.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or veggie noodles to make it paleo or gluten free noodles to continue your Gluten Exodus.